Important information regarding COVID-19 pandemic at the OvGU and the University Library
The Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg is a strong champion of internationalism, both in teaching and research, a fact of which we are rightly proud. Employees and students are in frequent contact with their national and international partners. This networking is expressly facilitated and supported by the Office of the President.
Nevertheless, in view of the proliferation of the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), we request all OVGU employees and students to pay special attention, to observe the hygiene regulations and to act responsibly towards each other. We have compiled the following important information for you and ask you to observe the service instructions and to inform yourself here regularly about changes.
University Library reopens!
After being closed to the general public due to the pandemic situation (COVID-19), the University Library has reopened its doors on May 4th under compliance with the prescribed hygiene measures. Please note the following information:
- Reduced opening hours.
- For the time being, the area can be used by a maximum of 350 users simultaneously.
- In order not to exceed the limited number of persons, entering and leaving the building will be recorded electronically by means of the user card/ID. In addition, a possible chain of infection can be traced via this registration system. In this case we are obliged to provide information to the public health department if necessary.
- Even if you only want to leave the library building for a short period of time (breaks), you must scan yourself with the user card. Please take your complete documents with you. Afterwards you can only scan yourself again if you observe the personal limits.
- Please wash your hands thoroughly after entering the library building.
- Please observe the relevant distance regulations (at least 1.5 meters) and the distance markings on the lending and information counters.
- It is compulsory to wear a mouth and nose mask on the way to and from your workplace in the library building. All workstations (with chairs) and carrels can be used freely, subject to the distance regulations.
- Access to group work rooms (usable for 3-6 persons depending on size) is only possible after registration.
- Please use your own hardware (laptop, tablet). Keyboard and mouse of the UB-computers can be cleaned before use (disinfectants and cloths are available at the counters).
- Lending and return of print media is possible at the lending desk.
- 3 self-check-out machines on the ground floor can be used for contactless borrowing.
- Copy machines can be used in the copy rooms on the individual floors. Please enter individually!
- In addition to the regular services, the existing contactless services Digital Campus Delivery Service, Digital Semester Apparatus and Digital Campus Standards Delivery Service CaNoLi as well as e-book orders will of course continue to be offered.
- The University Library adapts its on-site service according to the current regulations in a timely and demand-oriented manner.
Digital services of the University Library
The University Library points out its digital services to support students, lecturers, and researchers of the OVGU. These services include:
Digital Campus Delivery Service (for students, lecturers, and researchers of the OVGU): the library scans articles of journals or anthologies from the library's holdings in accordance with copyright law and makes them available digitally. Read more.
Digital Semester Apparatus (for OVGU lecturers and students): the library scans articles from journals, anthologies or small parts of monographs from the library's holdings in accordance with copyright law and makes them available in digital form on the e-learning platform to be used in lectures, seminars, and courses in general. Read more.
E-book request: If a book is urgently needed that is available as an e-book in bookstores, the library will try to acquire it as an e-book. Please make an informal purchase suggestion directly to the subject librarian responsible for the respective subject (find your contact person). Or use our web form.
Digital Campus Standards Delivery Service CaNoLi and Patent Information Center (for OVGU - members): Standards, guidelines, technical rules and TGL standards can be ordered via this service. The Patent Information Center and the Standards Info Point can still be reached by telephone (0391 67-52979) or e-mail: email@example.com . Read more.
Regarding the specific questions related to the University Library, we provide answers to frequently asked questions here: