The UB offers its users 57 individual work rooms (Carrels), 3 double carrels and 4 group work rooms (R123, R212, R218, R314). In single and double carrels, network connections are available which can be used for internet access of notebooks or similar. The use of all workrooms is free of charge. However, a valid membership in the Magdeburg University Library is required.
For the workrooms, additional rules (German only) apply.
Individual Work Rooms
You can register for and use a carrel for one or several weeks, for one day as well as for double use.
- are located on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors
- can be used for one to four weeks (with respect to our opening hours)
- can be requested by using the web form
- the keys are handed out on the 1st floor in room 120 (report to the information desk)
- reservation and use of carrels is only possible for the preparation of a written scientific paper or thesis (cf. the additional rules). For students of medicine (FME), the carrels are only available for writing the second state exam.
Please note that the demand is often greater than the supply and take advantage of the possibility of a long-time reservation.
- With the rooms 210, 302, and 316, there are three carrels at your disposal to be used by two people
- Room 210 can be used for a whole day (keys are handed out at the information desk on the 1st floor)
- Rooms 302 and 316 can be used for a period of four hours (keys are handed out at the information desk on the 2.5th floor
- You can request a double carrel using the web form
- are located on the 1st and 3rd floors
- cannot be reserved
- keys are handed out from 8 a.m. at the information desks in the 1st and 2.5th floors
Group Study Rooms
The group study rooms are located on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors and are available for learning groups, seminars or tutorials (min. 3 persons). Use is limited to a maximum of 4 hours per day. The reservation of the rooms and the handing out of the keys are performed at the information desks on the 1st and 2.5th floor.
In our group study rooms SmartBoards are available for use to which you may connect your external devices. Cases with cables and other equipment can be borrowed at the information counters. You will find drivers for Windows, Debian, Ubuntu precise, Ubuntu trusty and Mac by using the respective links.
There are 48 long-term lockers available on the 1st floor for storage of work materials. The use of the long-term lockers is free of charge. A valid membership in the University Library is required. Per person 1 permanent locker can be allocated for a period of up to one month.
Please use our booking system to make a reservation. Keys are issued at the circulation desk on the ground floor.
Valuables, perishable foodstuffs as well as reference copies, books from the semester collections, journal volumes and issues as well as media that have not been properly borrowed and booked may not be locked in the permanent lockers.
For further questions regarding the permanent lockers, please contact the circulation desk on the ground floor.
You can reach our carrel service for inquiries by e-mail to
(Please note: reservations by e-mail are not possible)